How to Track Delivery of Your Notice or Secure Identity Document (or Card)

  1. Sign into your USCIS online account to receive automatic updates, including your U.S. Postal Service (USPS) tracking number when we mail your card or travel document. If you did not file online and do not have a USCIS online account, review the instructions to create an account to track your case.

If you do have a USCIS online account, you can also check Case Status Online to see if we have mailed your card.

  1. Register for Informed Delivery through USPS to get daily images of mail being sent to you. With Informed Delivery, you can:
  • Automatically track the packages you are expecting;
  • Set up email and text alerts; and
  • Enter USPS Delivery Instructions™ for your mail carrier.

USCIS, through the Secure Mail Initiative (SMI), uses USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation to deliver certain immigration documents in a safe, secure, and timely manner. SMI enables us to confirm delivery of Permanent Resident Cards (also known as Green Cards) and documents related to travel and employment authorization. With USPS tracking information, you can easily stay up to date on the delivery status of your documents and confirm if essential documents were delivered to the proper address.

Mailing Address

We will mail your card or travel document to the address you provided on your application or, if you requested, we will mail it your designated representative on Form G-28, Notice of Entry or Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative.

If your mailing address changes after you file your application, you must update your address with USCIS and USPS as soon as possible. We recommend you use the USPS Look Up a ZIP Code tool to ensure that you give USCIS your full address using the standard abbreviations and formatting recognized by USPS.

If you don’t update your address promptly, your case could be delayed, your document(s) could get lost, and you may need to reapply and pay the fee again.

Lost or Missing Mail

You can continue to use Informed Delivery to track and manage the delivery of your package.

If your USPS tracking information shows your package was delivered but you have not received it, follow the steps recommend by USPS on the Find Missing Mail webpage. You should begin the steps as soon as you believe your mail is missing.

If you have contacted USPS and still have not received your notice or secure document (or card), you may submit a case inquiry with USCIS in one of the following categories:

  • Did not receive notice by mail (for example, an appointment notice (Form I-797C, Notice of Action));
  • Did not receive document by mail (for example, an advance parole document, refugee travel document, or reentry permit); or
  • Did not receive card by mail (for example, an employment authorization document).

If you did not receive your approval notice and believe it may have been lost in the mail, you may submit a case inquiry as explained above if you know your receipt number. If you do not know your receipt number, contact the USCIS Contact Center for further assistance.

In some cases, the secure identity document (or card) may have been returned to USCIS. You should contact the USCIS Contact Center if you believe this circumstance applies to you. In some instances, USCIS may be able to attempt a second delivery or reissue you the card or travel document (if it has already been destroyed).

If Your Permanent Resident Card Was Not Received or Returned to USCIS

If you did not receive your Permanent Resident Card (also known as Green Card) in the mail, please follow the instructions to file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, to request a replacement card.

To help prevent a delay in receiving your card, you must choose the correct reason you are filing form I-90 and include a fee where needed. Here is how you can find out if you need to submit a fee:

  • Find out if your Green Card was returned to USCIS
    • Track the delivery through the US Postal Service.
    • Check your USCIS online account or Case Status Online for an update on the delivery of your card.
    • Reach out to the USCIS Contact Center to ask if your permanent resident card was returned to USCIS.
  • If you have confirmed through your online account or by calling the Contact Center that your permanent resident card was returned to USCIS, you may file without a fee under reason “2.b.” (or “3.b.” if you are a conditional permanent resident) indicating your previous card was issued but never received).
  • If your card was not returned to USCIS, you should file with fee under reason “2.a.” (or “3.a.” if you are a conditional permanent resident) indicating your previous card was lost, stolen, or destroyed.

For More Information

  • Information About Your Immigration Document
  • After Receiving a Decision