Did you use to dabble in postcard collecting or send out many postcards and now have a ton of them lying around?
We have some good news for you! You can sell your old postcards and turn a profit.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through a step-by-step process of how to sell old postcards, covering everything from what you’ll need to sell to the platforms where you can sell them.
Let’s get started!
Why You Should Consider Selling Old Postcards
There are several reasons one might consider selling vintage postcards. Here are some of them:
1. Extra money
Vintage and antique postcards can be highly valuable, especially if they are rare, in excellent condition, or sought after by collectors.
The right person would be willing to pay a premium for old postcards, allowing you to earn extra income on the side.
2. Appeal to collectors
Many collectors love the hobby of collecting rare and vintage postcards. There’s a committed global community of people who actively seek to grow their postcard collections.
By selling postcards, you may help these individuals build their collections while also getting paid in the process.
3. Historical and cultural importance
Historical postcards offer a unique glimpse into the past, often featuring historic structures, monuments, and notable events. This makes them valuable and helpful to historians and scholars interested in such matters.
Selling old postcards is a great way to declutter your desk and drawers, especially if you have a bunch of them stashed away.
Instead of keeping them and letting them gather dust, consider selling them to an antique store or collectors who’ll cherish them.
Problems With Selling Old Postcards
While selling postcards outright may appear to be simple, there may be some challenges that can arise. Here are a few to think about:
1. Condition and value
The condition and quality of your postcard collection are important factors in determining its worth. The value of the cards will be greatly reduced if they’re damaged, bent, or worn out.
It’s also worth noting that certain cards may only be valuable for the pictures they depict. If you’re collecting postcards to sell, keep them safe and secure to preserve their quality and charm.
2. Niche market
While there’s a market for old postcards, it’s very small compared to other collectibles.
Some collectors may have specific preferences and be primarily interested in certain cards only, narrowing the list of potential buyers and making it difficult to sell your collection.
Accurately determining the worth of your collection can be time-consuming. You’ll need to do research and have a strong understanding of the vintage markets.
You may even want to consider getting an opinion from a professional, which may incur costs. If you don’t do your due diligence, you risk undervaluing your collection and potentially getting ripped off.
4. Emotional attachment
You may have emotional ties to some vintage cards, making it difficult to sell them. It can be challenging to put prices on items that have personal sentimental value.
Therefore, before you decide to sell your vintage postcards, carefully consider their emotional significance to you.
What You’ll Need to Sell Old Postcards
You’ll need the following materials to sell old postcards:
- Old postcards: It goes without saying that you’ll need actual postcards to be able to sell. Take the time to sort out your collection, ensuring everything is neatly organized and labeled accordingly. This will save you a lot of time and trouble later on.
- Research: To correctly determine the value, rarity, and historical importance of your collection, you must first conduct extensive research. To gather as much knowledge as possible about the postcard, consult books, internet forums, and other online resources.
- Professional evaluation: If you find yourself in possession of a rare or precious postcard, you should consult an expert and seek their advice. Look around for antique stores, an auction house, or specialized experts who can advise you and, if necessary, help you obtain the proper documentation.
- Selling platform: You’ll need to find platforms that allow the sale of postcards to sell your collection. It’s important to use available online marketplaces; you may even find specialized forums dedicated to this particular collectible on the internet.
- Additional materials: If you decide to ship the postcards yourself, you’ll need other paper items like packaging paper, shipping labels, and similar supplies. To save money, consider buying these items in bulk from wholesalers.
Where to Sell Old Postcards
Now that you’ve gathered all the prerequisites for selling postcards, it’s time to find a suitable platform to sell them on.
eBay is one of the most popular marketplaces for buying and selling goods.
Boasting a global user base of over 182 million, it’s a no-brainer that selling postcards on eBay can be profitable.
Whether you’re selling antiques, collectibles, or rare items, eBay remains at the forefront as an excellent platform for finding potential buyers.
What Makes This Option Great
eBay is trusted by millions of people, making it a reliable platform to sell on. In fact, statistics show that eBay has a 76% customer satisfaction score.
The large number of users also makes it easier to showcase your goods to a global audience.
Additionally, eBay offers sellers an amazing option to auction their items to the highest bidder, potentially allowing you to sell old postcards at an even higher price.
- Fees/Commission: eBay charges a $0.35 listing fee and a final value fee, that’s 13.5% of the sale price.
- Payment Methods: PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Wire transfer, etc.
Etsy is an online e-commerce store famous for handcrafted, rare, and collectible goods.
It provides both businesses and small-scale sellers a chance to promote and sell their items.
According to a report, the platform is home to over 2 million active merchants who make a living selling on Etsy.
Need help with selling on Etsy? Read our A-Z guide to learn how to sell on Etsy in 2023.
What Makes This Option Great
Opening up your store on Etsy is a simple process. The platform offers a speedy setup option to breeze through, open your shop, and start selling your vintage postcard in mere minutes.
- Fees/Commission: Etsy has a $0.20 listing fee, along with an additional 6.5% transaction fee for each product you sell on the website.
- Payment Methods: PayPal, Apple Pay, and Google Pay
3. Facebook Marketplace
Facebook Marketplace has steadily become popular amongst businesses as well as home-based sellers.
It’s built right into the Facebook application, which makes it simple and straightforward to use.
What Makes This Option Great
Selling on Facebook is a straightforward affair. Through its easy selling process, you can head to the marketplace, list your postcards, and wait for customers to contact you.
Additionally, with over a billion people using Facebook worldwide, you can reach a vast international audience and expand your customer base.
- Fees/Commission: Facebook Marketplace charges a seller’s fee of 5% per item or $0.40 for items valued at less than $8.
- Payment Methods: PayPal and Meta Pay
Learn everything you should know about shipping products via Facebook Marketplace.
How to Sell Old Postcards: Step-By-Step Instructions
Things to Consider When Selling Old Postcards
In this section, we’ll bring your attention to some important considerations to keep in mind when selling old postcards.
1. Condition of Your Postcards
The condition of your postcards is undoubtedly the most significant factor in determining their value.
Before anything else, you must carefully assess the condition of each card and note any signs of damage, stains, or bends.
When selling old postcards, being transparent about their condition and providing high-quality images are crucial.
These will provide potential buyers with a visual representation, giving them a better idea of the condition.
2. Legal Considerations
Some postcards may be restricted from sale due to copyright laws.
To be safe and prevent any legal issues, it’s important to be aware of the legal requirements that govern the sale of vintage postcards.
Frequently Asked Questions
Similar Tutorials to Check Out
If you don’t have a postcard collection, don’t worry. You can still sell similar items for cash. Check out these articles to learn more.
- How to Sell Art Online: Are you a skilled artist with command over the brush? Consider selling your art online to earn from your talent.
- How to Sell Books Online: This comprehensive guide will teach you all there is to know about reselling books for profit.
- How to Sell Notes Online: Were you a great note taker during your school days and now find yourself trying to figure out what to do with them? Don’t throw them out just yet! Learn how you can turn notes into extra money by selling them with this guide.
Selling old postcards can be an effortless way to earn extra cash while decluttering your living space.
You can successfully navigate the process of selling old postcards by considering a few factors, such as determining the value of your vintage postcards, choosing the right platform, and being cautious of legal considerations.
We would love to hear your thoughts and opinions, so please feel free to share them in the comments box below.
And if you found this article helpful and informative, please share it with your fellow specialist collectors.