California Design Den is a brand that is all about providing high-quality, natural home products. In this review, I’ll be going over their Silky Soft Sateen sheet set. I personally tested these sheets out, so I’ll fill you in on my experience with them, as well as detailing what they are made of and who they are best suited for.
Let’s find out if these are the best bed sheets for you! If you are in a rush, you can always skip ahead for my review summary.
California Design Den Sheets
What are the California Design Den Sheets Made Of?
Sheets can be made from a wide variety of materials. There are cotton sheets, bamboo sheets, linen sheets, and many more.
The California Design Den Silky Soft Sateen sheets are made from 100 percent cotton. The set I tested had a 500-thread count, although the brand offers a variety of different thread count options. These sheets are made with a sateen weave, which is a style that weaves multiple threads over and one under to create a satin-like, silky, smooth feel.
Whichever thread count you get, all California Design Den sheets are OEKO-TEX STANDARD 100 certified, meaning they passed the highest standards for safety from harmful substances.
The set is available in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, California king, and split king sizes. Each set comes with:
- One flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and one standard pillowcase (twin, twin XL)
- One flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two standard pillowcases (full, queen)
- One flat sheet, one fitted sheet, and two king size pillowcases (king, California king)
- One flat sheet, two fitted sheets, and two king size pillowcases (split king)
The twin, twin XL, full, and split king fitted sheets have 14-inch pockets, while the queen, king, and California king fitted sheets have 16-inch pockets. Both sizes should be fairly roomy and fit on most mattresses.
Additionally, the fitted sheet features extra-strong elastic and tags to indicate the head and foot of the bed, a small detail that simplifies the process of making your bed.
What Do the California Design Den Sheets Feel Like?
I absolutely loved the feel of the California Design Den sheets. From the first time I put them on the bed, I was delighted by their super soft, buttery, and silky feel. The cotton sateen fabric almost feels like bamboo, but less viscous and flowy. These are definitely among the softest sheets I’ve ever tested.
Are the California Design Den Sheets Good for Hot Sleepers?
While I adore how soft these sheets feel, I don’t think they are the best sheets for hot sleepers. They aren’t overly warming or heat-trapping, but the higher thread count and thicker sateen weave make these sheets less breathable than other cotton sheet sets — particularly ultra-airy percale sheets.
For better cooling options, take a look at our best cooling sheets for hot sleepers.
California Design Den Sheets
How Durable are California Design Den Sheets?
One thing I immediately noticed when I took these sheets out of the packaging was how high-quality they felt. The sheets themselves feel quite sturdy and the elastic in the fitted sheet feels strong. Additionally, I have actually washed these sheets a few times and they have held up well. I have not seen any pilling and the sheets feel just as soft, if not softer, than when I first received them.
Do the California Design Den Sheets Stay on the Bed?
I have not had any issue with these sheets staying on the bed. The fitted sheet has deep pockets (16 inches on the queen-size set I tested) and it fits nicely over most mattresses. Additionally, the pillowcases are designed to be extra roomy, which I like. This prevents the end of your pillow from sticking out if the case shifts as you sleep.
Are the California Design Den Sheets Good for You?
With all that in mind, let’s go over who I recommend the California Design Den sheets for and who should consider another set of sheets.
Who should try California Design Den sheets
- If you love ultra-soft sheets, these buttery sateen sheets should be a great fit for you.
- If you are shopping on a budget, these sheets don’t break the $90 price point at full retail, even for the largest sizes. That’s a great deal on high-quality bed sheets.
- If you like sheets that add a pop of color, you will be happy to know that California Design Den offers these sheets in a variety of color options.
California Design Den sheets complaints
- If you are a hot sleeper, these sateen sheets might not be the best choice. They are decently thick and while I haven’t experienced overheating with them, they aren’t the most breathable cotton sheets out there. Take a look at our best cooling sheets for more options or our best cotton percale sheets for an airier cotton option.
- If you prefer a crisper sheet, these silky-soft sheets won’t match your desired feel. Again, a percale sheet might be a better choice for you.
- If you have an extra-tall twin, twin XL, or full size mattress, the 14-inch fitted sheet pockets may not be quite large enough to fit your bed snugly. Ideally, the pockets are a couple inches larger than the height of your bed.
California Design Den Sheets Prices, Sizes, and Colors
Wondering how much these sheets cost? Here’s a breakdown of prices by size. I’ll only be including pricing here for the 500-thread count sheets that I tested, as California Design Den offers these same sheets in a variety of thread counts at different price points.
Price listed will be before discount or offer for each size. To get our best deal, click one of the coupons throughout this article.