- DHL, UPS, and USPS offer a range of international shipping services from the US to China
- The cheapest shipping solution for 2 lb packagefrom New York to China is OrangeDS – Expedited with Easyship for an estimated price of $22.95, with a lead time of 5-10 working days
- Packages with irregular dimensions or shapes will incur more fees than those with standard shapes and dimensions
Trade between the U.S. and China has boomed in recent years, but a number of key challenges have emerged.
Chief among these challenges is the trade war between the United States and China, which has, by most accounts, started to drag on the global economy. The imposition of tariffs against China from the U.S. and China’s retaliatory tariffs, in particular, has hit eCommerce companies hard.
These new tariffs, along with new changes coming to the Universal Postal Union (UPU), have made finding the cheapest way to ship to China critical for eCommerce businesses. This guide offers a look at how to find cheap shipping to China from the U.S. and elsewhere, both by using some smart shipping strategies and by signing up for Easyship!
Delivery Times to China
International shipments vary on the length of time to reach their destination depending on the courier service used, the origin, and the destination address. Shipments can take anywhere between 2 and 16 working days, depending on your budget.
Shipping with DHL, UPS, or USPS? Here are some shipping time estimates for international shipping to China:
Courier Service Lead Time Cost OrangeDS – Expedited 5 – 10 working days $22.95 SF Express – Economy Express 10 – 16 working days $26.36 USPS – First Class International 10 – 12 working days $27.41 UPS Worldwide Expedited® 3 working days $43.26 UPS Worldwide Saver® 2 working days $44.38 Asendia – Epaq Select 4 – 9 working days $47.87 DHL – Express Worldwide 6 – 9 working days $65.51 USPS – Priority Mail International 11 – 16 working days $68.35 USPS – Priority Mail Express International 9 – 19 working days $76.76
With these rough estimates, you can better assess how long a shipment will take to reach its intended destination. Luckily, Easyship’s free shipping rates calculator can easily show you a list of the best available courier services, including costs and shipping time estimates.
Now, you don’t have to shy away from shipping to China because of the additional cost. With the help of Easyship, you can make your international shipping process smooth sailing.
How Much Does It Cost?
There are several variables that determine how much it would cost to ship a package from the US to China. These variables include:
- Package weight
- Package dimensions
- Delivery timeframe
The lower the variables are (or longer, in regard to delivery time), the greater the likelihood of getting cheap shipping costs. Packages with irregular dimensions or shapes would also incur more fees than those with standard shapes and dimensions. Simply put, if you opt for the cheapest way to ship to China, expect your package to take longer to arrive at its destination.
Let’s say we’re sending a 2 pound package from New York City to China. Easyship’s algorithm will instantly find the fastest, cheapest, and best value shipping solutions available.
Here we see that UPS Worldwide Saver is the fastest option, offering 2 working day shipping at an estimated price of $44.38. On the other hand, the cheapest shipping and best value option is OrangeDS – Expedited, which can ship the parcel for an estimate $22.95, although it has a longer delivery time of 5-10 working days and regular tracking services.
Things to Consider
There are factors that need to be considered when you are looking to ship a package to China. Additionally, it is important to be aware of the restricted or prohibited items that you are unable to ship to China. Some items that are prohibited from shipping to China include:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Beef and beef products originating from the US
- Food, non-perishable if containing any liquid
- Parts, machine, and electronic
You should let your courier know if the content of your package is fragile. However, be aware that this may incur additional charges, and may affect your ability to find the cheapest way to ship your package to China.
Do FedEx, UPS, and USPS Ship to China?
Yes, FedEx, UPS, and USPS offer a variety of international shipping services from the US to China that can satisfy the shipping needs of all consumers. Here are the courier services available:
Shipping to China with FedEx
FedEx offers the following delivery services to China from the US:
- FedEx International First (3 business days as early as 10 a.m.)
- FedEx International Priority (3 business days)
- FedEx International Priority Freight (3 business days)
- FedEx International Economy (5 business days)
- FedEx International Economy Freight (5 business days)
Shipping to China with UPS
UPS offers the following delivery services to China from the US:
- UPS Worldwide Express Plus (1-3 business days as early as 8:00 a.m.)
- UPS Worldwide Express (1-3 business days by 10:30 a.m. or noon)
- UPS Worldwide Express Freight (delivery by end of the day)
- UPS Worldwide Express Freight Midday (delivery by noon or 2 p.m., depending on destination postcode)
- UPS Worldwide Express Saver (delivery by end of the day)
- UPS Worldwide Expedited (delivery by end of the day)
- UPS Worldwide Economy (delivery by end of the day)
Shipping to China with USPS
USPS offers the following delivery services to China from the US:
- First-Class Package International (delivery time varies)
- USPS Priority Mail International (delivery time varies)
- USPS Priority Mail Express International (delivery time varies)
What’s the Cheapest Shipping Option from the US to China?
Let’s use the previous 2-pound package example again. If we’re sending a 10-pound package from New York City to China, we see that UPS Worldwide Saver is the fastest option, offering 2 working day shipping at an estimated price of $44.38.
On the other hand, the cheapest shipping solution to China is OrangeDS – Expedited, which can ship the parcel for an estimate $22.95, although it has a longer delivery time of 5-10 working days and regular tracking services.
The Cheapest Way to Ship to China from Canada
For example, let’s say you want to ship a 2-pound package to China from Canada.
Using Easyship’s free shipping calculator, we see that Canada Post – International Small Packet – Surface would be the cheapest option with an estimated price of $20.29 USD. However, this option does not include tracking services and has a long lead time.
Below are some example rates in USD and lead times for a parcel weighing 2 -pounds from Canada to China:
The Cheapest Way to Ship to China from Australia
Want to ship a package to Australia? No worries. If you want to ship a package to China from Australia, in this case the leading courier would be the cheapest option. With rates for UPS – Worldwide Saver priced at $33.86 USD. Using Easyship’s reliable and easy-to-use tools and services, we see that this option includes excellent tracking services.
The Cheapest Way to Ship to China from Singapore
Shipping to China from Singapore is easy with the help of Easyship. If you want to ship a package from Singapore to China, we see that Aramex – Parcel offers the cheapest and best value shipping to China with a price of $50.40 USD.
10 Shipping Tips for the Cheapest Way to Ship to China
You don’t have to shy away from international shipping to countries like China because you don’t want to incur added costs. In addition to using Easyship, be sure to follow these tips to cut your cross-border shipping costs!
1. Choose Your International Suppliers Wisely
The price at which a product manufacturer, supplier, or retailer sells products to you significantly impacts how much profit you make reselling the same to your customers, especially after import duties are added up.
For this reason, you should always buy from international suppliers who offer affordable rates without compromising on quality. Speaking of import duties, be sure to use Easyship’s tax and duties calculator to provide full transparency in this important area!
2. Don’t Always Go For Flat Rate Shipping
Flat rate shipping can be a great option, but sometimes, it’s not always the best.
This is especially true if the packages you send are of different sizes, weights and dimensions. There is no way your customers will always enjoy the best deals due to this option not being flexible. More so, should there be any difference in the charges, you might end up paying this difference on your end.
3. Utilize Fulfillment Warehouses
When you go into a partnership with a reputable fulfillment warehouse in a strategic location when shipping to China, they’ll be able to handle your deliveries from a local and centralized station. This goes a long way in cutting the costs of having your products shipped to your customers in China.
4. Have A Clear Understanding of What Your Customers Need
Don’t always assume that all your customers wouldn’t mind paying the additional cost in order to have their orders delivered quickly!
There are indeed some customers who wouldn’t mind waiting for a few days or even a week to have their orders delivered, as long as it means paying less for delivery. Be sure you understand your target audience and can accommodate this with multiple shipping options at the checkout.
5. Don’t Stick To One Particular Courier
One of the best ways to cut down on shipping costs is to try out multiple couriers.
This is because every courier has its own rates based on the dimensions, weight, size, and destination of packages. If, for example, you’re sending a package to a residential address, you should opt for a carrier that doesn’t charge extra fees for delivering to a residential address. FedEx and UPS sometimes charge additional fees, while USPS doesn’t.
In short, do what’s best for both you and your customers in terms of pricing!
6. Make Your Delivery Schedules Align With That of Your Couriers
This is another unique way to save money in sending your products to China.
Ocean freight rates usually offer more competitive rates than air freight rates and, as such, working out your delivery timeframes to align with ocean freights can potentially reduce your shipping costs to China from the U.S. and elsewhere.
7. Reevaluate Your Shipping Packaging
This is another reason why some online merchants spend more on shipping their products, significantly reducing their profit margins.
Always choose packaging that fits your items in order to minimize wasting space. You should also opt for lightweight shipping packaging, like airbags. All of this will go a long way in reducing the size and weight of your package and, in turn, reduce the cost of shipping to China.
8. Use A Reputable Forwarder
Often, inexperienced online merchants will find out the hard way that they’ve used the wrong forwarder when shipping cross-border to countries like China.
Shop around to find one that doesn’t come with any hidden fees and is willing to work with you closely on the intricacies of cross-border shipping and logistics, rather than just offer you a cheap shipping quote.
9. Have A Packing Station
This is something as simple as having an assembly line. Having a specific place where you’re able to construct, fill and seal your boxes offers many benefits to your online business.
It helps in effectively managing orders fulfillment, plus you’re often able to save money sending packages to China as you spend less money creating your own packaging, especially for those orders that don’t qualify for free packaging.
10. Reuse Packaging
You don’t always have to pay for new packaging for items, as you can save money by reusing the packaging you get in the mail.
From bubble wrap to cardboard boxes, you can significantly cut down on cost when you don’t have to regularly buy new packaging materials! You can even use lightly-used packaging from family, friends, and colleagues as a way to save money.
How Easyship Can Help You Find the Cheapest Way to Ship to China
Searching for the best shipping and logistics solutions for your business? Easyship offers market leading features and a vast network of over 250 couriers worldwide. Our strategic partnerships enable us to negotiate effective shipping discounts with leading couriers, boosting your profits.
Shipping to China? We’ve got you covered with unbeatable discounts on major carriers:
- Save up to 63% on DHL – Express Worldwide
- Save up to 89% on USPS Priority Mail
- Save up to 41% on Asendia – e-PAQ Plus
- Save up to 76% on UPS Worldwide Saver®
- Save up to 91% on DHL eCommerce
A seamless shipping experience is crucial for every store looking to scale fast. We offer a range of user-friendly tools to optimize your shipping process and create a delightful delivery experience for your Chinese customers:
- Shipping Rate Calculator: Maximize your profits on every order! Effortlessly find the best deals from a vast network of over 550+ courier services worldwide. Ensuring you always get the most cost-effective shipping option for your shipments to China
- Insurance: We provide insurance coverage of up to $1000, guaranteeing that your shipments to China are protected and secure. Ship with confidence and focus on growing your sales
- Tracking: Boost customer satisfaction and loyalty with custom-branded tracking emails and automatic message alerts. Provide complete package visibility throughout the entire delivery journey
Shipping to China FAQ
Why Is It So Expensive to Ship to China?
There are several variables that determine the cost of shipping a parcel or package from the US to China. These variables include the package size, dimensions, and delivery timeframe.
Additionally, with the ongoing trade war and escalating tariffs between the US and China, finding the best shipping rates from the US to China has been a problem for many online merchants. With Easyship, you’re able to access 250+ shipping solutions from couriers around the world with discounts of up to 91 percent!
Does Canada Post Ship to China?
Yes, Canada Post ships to China and offers the following delivery options:
- Canada Post Small Packet to China (six to 10 business days)
- Canada Post International Parcel to China (six to 10 business days)
- Canada Post Xpresspost to China (four to seven business days)
How Much Does It Cost to Ship A One Pound Package to China?
Shipping a package to China is simple, no matter the size of the package! Using Easyship’s free shipping calculator, if you want to ship a one-pound package to China from the US, we see that OrangeDS – Expedited offers the cheapest shipping option with a price of $17.64 USD.
Other price estimates from competing couriers include:
- SF Express – Economy Express ($21.86 USD)
- USPS – First Class International ($27.41 USD)
- DHL – Express Worldwide ($56.51 USD)
If you found this article informative, you might enjoy the following:
- What’s the Cheapest Way to Ship Internationally?
- What’s the Cheapest Way to Ship to Singapore?
- What’s the Cheapest Way to Ship to India?